Monroe County was formed in 1821 from Creek Indian land. It is named for President James Monroe, the 5th President of the United States and author of the Monroe Doctrine.
Forsyth, the county seat, is named for John Forsyth, who, as minister to Spain, negotiated the purchase of Florida in 1819. Culloden was named for a Scottish Highlander who opened a store there in 1780. Culloden is also the site of the oldest Methodist church in Georgia.